12 years of using NFP in our marriage have not yet presented an instance where I have had to explain it to my children. In the context of a new pregnancy, it’s been easy to explain that God sent us the baby and we’re excited to meet him/her when the time comes. The kids are always excited for a new sibling.
Our daughters are getting older and so far, I have had discussions with both of the oldest two about changes they will see coming in their bodies in the near future. I have had THE talk with my oldest (just turned eleven). But that really centered around what sex was and how it worked and all that stuff. So the other day, I mentioned I had an NFP Awareness poster to put up at church and Sarah says, “What is NFP?”
Well, honey, I’m so glad you asked! Or am I?
I have an opportunity to help my daughters understand their bodies. I have this glorious chance three times in a row to help my daughters be knowledgable and powerful about the decisions they make in their lives. I can present all the information I did NOT have at my disposal as I was navigating the crazy waters of teen-to-young-adult life.
I plan to discuss this soon with my oldest (she asked “What is NFP” in the van while we were about to leave and go somewhere, so it really wasn’t the time or place to give her the low-down). Through what I envision to be multiple/separate discussions, here are some points I hope to cover…
- Changes in her body that can help alert her to the fact she may begin menstrual cycles
- High-level discussion re: changes in boys’ bodies (i.e., boys’ bodies mature into mens’ bodies, etc)
- How she can protect her body and keep it healthy both in generally and reproductively
- Phase 1, Phase 2 and Phase 3 – and how she can pay attention to how she is feeling in each phase, and how it works together with the information she already knows (how a baby is made)
- Charting — I emailed the lady mentioned in this blog post by Simcha Fisher, but never got anything…I will probably need to call her. But I really want to get those charts for girls (I mean, who wouldn’t love to have a spot to chart that they were craving pizza!?!?)
- Discussion on chastity, making good choices
- High level — what forms of contraception are, how they work, various reasons people think they should use it
- What sexually transmitted diseases are
- That I will probably start taking her to see my doctor instead of the pediatrician whenever she needs a doctor visit