Happy Memorial Day! Forgive the tardiness of my posting.
1. I took all five kids on a whirlwind tour of Northern Illinois – Southern Wisconsin this weekend. We took off around 3:00 p.m. Friday and returned home around 1:30 this morning. Whew is about all I can say.
2. My gracious brother offered us his humble abode in Naperville, IL for the night Friday and I humbly accepted. At first I wondered if I would regret not going on the extra 2 hours to Milwaukee, but as we approached Naperville, IL, I was very happy to be almost done with driving for that portion of the trip.
3. We got up Saturday morning, had some breakfast and began the gargantuan task of bathing everyone and getting everyone dressed up for a wedding. Surprisingly, this task was made quite a bit easier by the humongous tub in my brother’s master bathroom. Holy cow it was like a little pool!! So, I just ran all the kids through there…I did Vincent first with very little water, then worked my way up. The kids all had a blast.
4. We made the 2 hour trek north and arrived at the church with 20 minutes to spare! It was a lovely service (not Catholic…not that it matters, but just in case anyone wondered). Then there was a bit of a break, enough for me to head to the hotel, check us in and unload my purse-on-wheels. Some of the cousins came by to hang out…
Here is my newest baby nephew, Jack. He is very sweet. He reminds me so much of Vincent at this age (he is 3 months):
5. The reception was lovely. They had a separate room for children 6 and Under to eat and watch videos or color or play. Dominic was way cool with it. Helen was a bit put out that her sisters got to go to the “big people” party and she couldn’t, but she eventually made do. Vincent…well, let’s not talk about Vincent. I don’t think he was too happy to be away from me, but he’s NEVER happy to be away from me. *sigh*
6. It was nice to see family we hadn’t seen for awhile.
|Sarah and Dani with a couple of cousins|
|Jenna and Dani|
|With my cousin, Joan|
We got back to the hotel in one piece and basically crashed. (My kids love dancing, so they were exhausted.)
7. Drove by to see my father on the way out. We got to town in time to attend his parish’s 12:15 Sunday Mass, so we were able to check that off the list. 🙂 At our parish, we sing the Agnus Dei in latin and it’s kind of solemn. Yesterday, they were doing some kind of round in which “My peace I give to you” was interspersed with “Lamb of God” phrases. It was kind of frustrating. It was interesting, though, to have Sarah turn to me as they “performed” (that is really what it seems like they are doing) their version of the Agnus Dei and she said, “Mom, something just doesn’t feel right about this.” So, I guess I wasn’t alone in my discomfort anyway.
8. Craig and I took the kids to the amusement park today. It’s so nice having season passes. We can go and just spend a couple of hours and not feel like it was a wasted trip if we don’t do everything. Dominic got to go on lots of kiddie rides, and I went with the big girls on some of the bigger kid rides. Dani and Sarah have been talking a big game about riding one of the coasters and today it went by a few times while we were in the kid-portion of the park. I asked the girls if they were ready to ride it with me and they both said, “No!” Sarah said, “I want to ride it…sometime this summer, but I’m not ready today.”
9. We need a new vacuum. Craig has been checking them out on Consumer Reports and such. Buying a vacuum is such a chore, really. What kind do you have?
10. Hope you had a great Memorial Day!